Allocation of responsibility for vaccinations
The Government and vaccine coordinator
The Government and the national vaccine coordinator ensure access to COVID-19 vaccines during the pandemic. The vaccine coordinator is involved in working on the EU Commission's agreements with vaccine manufacturers. The Government signs agreements for Sweden.
The Public Health Agency of Sweden
The Public Health Agency of Sweden draws up a national plan for COVID-19 vaccinations and supports the regions in planning. This work includes:
- Developing recommendations for COVID-19 vaccination.
- Coordinating and planning distribution of the vaccine to the regions.
- Ensuring that it is possible to register vaccinations in the national vaccination register in order to track vaccination coverage and efficacy.
- Implementing coordinated communications about COVID-19 vaccination to the general public nationwide.
Read more on the website of the Public Health Agency of Sweden
The Swedish Medical Products Agency
The Swedish Medical Products Agency is responsible for investigating, approving and monitoring COVID-19 vaccines. It collaborates with pharmaceutical agencies in Europe and internationally to contribute to the development of approved COVID-19 vaccines.
Read more on the website of the Swedish Medical Products Agency
The National Board of Health and Welfare
The National Board of Health and Welfare supports healthcare and social services in work related to COVID-19. The agency supports and coordinates the regions' crisis preparedness within healthcare services and, therefore, coordinates with the country's 21 regions and their preparedness organisations, the relevant authorities and the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions (SKR).
Read more on the website of the National Board of Health and Welfare
The regions are responsible for carrying out COVID-19 vaccinations. This work includes:
- Distributing vaccines within the respective region.
- Making plans for staffing, premises and successfully carrying out vaccinations.
- Offering COVID-19 vaccination to residents, as decided in the region on the basis of the Public Health Agency of Sweden's recommendation.
More information at 1177
Information about what applies to you in your region can be found at 1177 Vårdguiden, Sweden's national hub for information and services for health and medical care.
The Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency (MSB)
The Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency (MSB) works to support national coordination between actors in the event of a pandemic, monitors and assesses the consequences of a pandemic on society and essential services, and enables coordinated communication between concerned actors and the general public via krisinformation.se.
Read more on MSB's website
County administrative boards
County administrative boards are responsible for coordinating regional crisis preparedness and supporting regions, municipalities and civil society in their work. They should also support the regions in public awareness efforts.